Thursday, September 3, 2009

Yusura Japanese Restaurant

If you're a regular diner in the Chinatown area you have a great variety of ethnic cuisines to choose from. Of course there's Chinese food, some good Filipino places and literally thousands and thousands and thousands of Vietnamese Pho houses. But for some odd reason there seems to be a small number of Japanese restaurants (not counting quickie take out bento shops).

Enter Yusura, a lonely Japanese representative in the international hodgepodge that is Chinatown. Located on the corner of Smith and Beretania Streets, it's actually a nice quiet spot away from the madness. If you manage to not trip over the random passed out chronic on the sidewalk, that is.


I've been here a number of times as it's just a few blocks away from my office. And I'm glad to report that on this particular day, it did not smell like fresh Clorox. I appreciate cleanliness, but not at the cost of burning my nostrils and tear ducts.

If you're looking for exceptional Japanese food, this... isn't the place. What it is, however, is decent and a good value. My Unagi Don mini set came with ramen and 4 pieces of gyoza. The dashi has a little to be desired. Not bland, but certainly unremarkable. The noodles had a good texture and the slice of char siu was soft. It's no Sonoya's, but then again, what is?


Unagi Don. As opposed to Don Unagi, Japanese leader of the Tokyo Italy Town mafia and that was a lame attempt at a joke get off my case it's late.

Downtown design buddy's Chicken Katsu Curry Don. As opposed to Don Chicken Katsu... ok ok no I won't go through with it. You're welcome.

I've never come across a gyoza that I didn't like. And this was no exception. What can I say? I'm a sucker for dumplings. Probably not the best you're going to eat, but like a true blue collar worker, it gets the job done without much fanfare.

I was sorely disappointed to find out that they no longer served the Cold Tofu topped with bonito flakes in a bed of sweet shoyu. It would have gone great with my Unagi, which was a little on the soft side but otherwise cooked rather well and seasoned with a good mix of sweet and salty which I appreciate.


Unagi Don Mini Set with Ramen and Gyoza. Quite satisfying and reasonably priced.

All in all, if you're in Chinatown and you've got a hankering for Japanese food, you could do worse than Yasura. Or you could do worse if you could actually find another Japanese restaurant in Chinatown, that is.

Yusura Japanese Restaurant
57 Beretania St
Honolulu, HI 96813
(808) 599-8838

No comments:

Post a Comment