Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Aunty's Steak Truck Waimanalo

Cruising around Nalo town on what would have been a beautiful Saturday for a ride... if my motorcycle wasn't dead - donations or side job offers now being accepted, by the way... I happened to spot a new lunch wagon just as you enter Waimanalo from Sandy's. 

Dilemma: the UH vs. Wazzu game was on the radio and I could not bring myself to pull over because the Warriors were up big time but almost in the midst of an epic FAIL. Luckily they pulled it off, I didn't kill any pedestrians as I was screaming at my radio, and I vowed to come back and check it out.


Look at that. How could you not like that? Although I had to refrain from inhaling these buggahs because of the cute gal sitting across from me. Gotta have some semblance of manners for I am a true gentleman. Shut up.

Made the trek out there the next day, and my taste buds are glad that I did. BBQ Ribs were the choice this day. Oh. Em. Gee. These were fricking good. I got the small order but the meat was plentiful. Not too fatty and not a hint of the gristle and cartilage you would get with a lower quality cut. The pork itself was nice and soft and easily pulled off the bone with my fork.


Honestly, I don't think the name of this joint is really Aunty's Steak Truck. I'm just calling it that for lack of info and laziness preventing me from asking for a takeout menu.

Look, I know ribs should be eaten with my hands. But I'm a little gunshy about making a total glutton of myself in front of strangers, as the seating could be described as cozy. If it were up to me it wouldn't be considered wrong to slather your naked self in barbecue sauce, take a meat bath in a tub full of choice cuts, and eat it while sharing the nice soak with a women's roller derby/lingerie squad. But noooooooo. People gotta get all judgmental and stuff. So a fork it is.

The saltiness of the dry rub didn't disappear in the face of the tangy sauce, and they worked well together to make this a surprisingly good BBQ pork rib offering from a conspicuous yellow truck on the side of the road. The side of mac salad that accompanied the ribs had a hint of egginess to it. Not in a bad stale fart kind of way, mind you. It was a nice mellow counterbalance to the tart mayo concoction they whipped up.

So, if you're gonna surf Sandy's one day and you have the urge for some mean kine ono grinds, head about two miles up the road towards Nalo town and say hello to Aunty and her friendly staff in the yellow bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment