Thursday, September 3, 2009

Otto Cake... F*ck Yeah!

Probably the last thing you would expect in Chinatown is a cheesecake shop run by a member of a punk rock band that occasionally dons a giant wig to play a frustrated transvestite lead singer of a rock band. That's why I love this place because that's exactly what you get with Otto Cake.


I love this charming sign. For some reason it makes me think that the official name of this place should be Otto Cake - F*ck Yeah.

The interior is clean and airy. But with just a single bench for seating, Otto's cheesecakes are more suited for takeout fare. All the boxes are hand painted and stamped, a nice touch in a commercially driven world. It's just so... indie. As evidenced by the Free Mumia sticker plastered on the napkin dispenser.

(Friendly tip: if you plan on venturing there I suggest approaching from the mauka side as there is a spot along Smith St. that reeks of urine and poo. Seriously. Same spot. Every day.)


So cuuuuuuuuuuute! Insider's tip: Otto is planning on making something chocolate dipped with these for Halloween.

But the cheesecake is the real star of this ensemble. Otto does not have a heavy hand with these cakes. Not too rich, but with enough body to make you feel as if you're getting your money's worth at $5.00 a slice. Smooth and satisfying. The crust was the perfect consistency. Just mushy enough for my taste but not soggy. A great pick me up for those 3:00 work doldrums. Flavors vary, depending on what's sold out. I'm stalking him for this alleged chocolate peanut butter cheesecake I've heard about but as of yet to no avail.


See what I mean? Otto Cake - F*ck Yeah.


Don't let the size fool you. Dowtown Design Buddy and I split a slice. This is the Lemon Cheesecake.

All in all it's a good cheesecake that's a little on the pricey side. But where else are you going to get cheesecake in Chinatown? Exactly. Now, I need to pop in there and ask Otto when's the next time The 86 List is putting on another Hedwig and the Angry Inch show. Now THAT is a treat no one should miss out on.

Otto Cake
1160 Smith Street
Honolulu, HI 96817

No comments:

Post a Comment