Friday, September 11, 2009

L&L's

Backstory time! Ventured to Nuuanu Street today to mail a parcel to a friend in New York. Next to that post office lies a space that is empty of everything save fond memories of the best garlic chicken I have ever eaten.

Sigh. Zaney's... you are missed dearly. A tragic victim of the Health Department's gestapo-like demands to upgrade their grease traps. The combination of nostalgia and hunger forced me to find something garlicky to satiate this craving of mine.

It was only by chance as I was standing in line at the ATM... and by the way, it should be a law that if you take more than two minutes at the bank machine the next person in line has the right to punch you in the back of the head... I noticed that L&L had "healthy" plate lunches for sale. One of the options was Garlic Mahi.

Close enough, so in I went.

Let me tell you something... they weren't fooling around with the garlic. Very glad I didn't have to meet any clients today. Although I wish that establishments would find a way to integrate garlic into their dishes more deftly rather than add a bunch of chunks as an afterthought.

On the bright side I now know it's possible to stop off at L&L more often without turning into a fat tub of goo. The Healthy Garlic Ahi (can't find Mahi info but shouldn't be too far off) is a meager 313 calories. I opted for all tossed salad instead of brown rice to further reduce the caloric intake of this particular lunch.


What is this??? A plate lunch from L&L that doesn't require a standby defibrillator?

They have a Salmon Patty with 363 calories and a Healthy BBQ Chicken option for the same amount.

It's L&L, so don't go in expecting anything out of this world. On the other hand, it IS L&L so you can expect something reasonably tasty and quick. For me, this was quite a welcomed revelation as my non-rice lunch options have expanded by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment